One of my favorite things about the Soul Screamer series is that the side characters are just as interesting and developed as the main character. Hope you enjoy getting to learn a little bit more about Sabine.
(The photo we used for Sabine is of Elizabeth Gilles)
• Can you tell us a little bit about yourself and your ability?I'm a mara. The seventh daughter of the seventh daughter. Which means I’ve probably got a lot of aunts and sisters out there, but I don’t know any of them. They gave me away. I used to think they threw me away, until Nash pointed out that babies found in garbage bins were thrown away. Babies found on church doorsteps were given away.
He says that makes me special.
I think he’s full of crap. But I appreciate the intent.
Oh, also, you should know that a mara is the physical manifestation of a nightmare. As in, I cause them. And feed from them. I could tell you l feed from people’s fears because like everyone else, I have to eat to survive. And that’s true. But what’s even truer is that it’s fun. You never really know a person until you know what he fears. And I know what everyone fears…
• So, it looks like you and Kaylee are starting to become friends – was that for Nash’s benefit or are you genuinely starting to like her?My friendship with Kaylee (but I seriously doubt she’d call it that) actually has nothing to do with Nash. I can see what he saw in her. I mean, sure, she's skinny, and stubborn, and kinda obsessive about doing things the "right" way, Iike that's the only way there is. But she's also loyal, and I understand that. I’m totally loyal, to the people who deserve my loyalty.
And no, I don't consider her disloyal for kissing Tod while she was still with Nash. In fact, if she weren't so damn loyal to Nash in the first place, she would have seen that they didn't belong together much earlier. Which would have saved us all a lot of grief.
What? I didn't say she was smart; I said she's loyal. I like that in a person. Even in a skinny, shrieking bean sidhe.
• What is your favorite nightmare to give?The one that tastes the best, and that changes from person to person. Depends on what they fear. And we’re not talking spiders and ghosts. We’re talking soul-shattering personal fears. Abandonment. Mediocrity. Failure. Fundamental loss. The kind of shit people kill themselves over.
What, you thought this would be pretty? Sorry to disappoint.
Oh, wait, no I’m not…
• If you could choose your own paranormal ability – what would you choose and why?I'd choose the ones I already have. You may not like me, but I like myself just fine.
• If you could go back and change one thing about your past – what would it be?
I wouldn't change anything about my past. If I were to fix the things that have gone wrong in my life, I’d never meet the people who made the most difference, both good and bad. Only a fool would go messing with her own past, and I’m no fool.
But I'd change a few things in Nash's past, in a second. I’ll let you all drive yourselves nuts trying to figure out which things. Go on. Give it a shot.
But I can tell you right now that you’re probably wrong.
There are two give-aways going on for those following the Before I Wake tour!
Please note that both the daily and grand prize give-aways are for US/Canada participants only. See full contest rules here.
- The first is a daily giveaway you enter by filling out this rafflecopter.
- The second give-away is for a grand prize of a pink iPod nano engraved with "Soul Screamers"! The Grand Prize winner is chosen from all daily entries! So make sure you follow the tour and enter every daily entry.
About Before I Wake - Goodreads, Amazon, B&N, Indiebound
I died on a Thursday-killed by a monster intent on stealing my soul
The good news? He didn't get it
The bad news? Turns out not even death will get you out of high school...
Covering up her own murder was one thing, but faking life is much harder than Kaylee Cavanaugh expected. After weeks spent "recovering," she's back in school, fighting to stay visible to the human world, struggling to fit in with her friends and planning time alone with her new reaper boyfriend. But to earn her keep in the human world, Kaylee must reclaim stolen souls, and when her first assignment brings her face-to-face with an old foe, she knows the game has changed. Her immortal status won't keep her safe. And this time Kaylee isn't just gambling with her own life....
About Rachel Vincent - Website, Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, YouTube
A resident of San Antonio, Rachel Vincent has a BA in English and an overactive imagination, and consistently finds the latter to be more practical. She shares her workspace with two black cats (Kaci and Nyx) and her # 1 fan. Rachel is older than she looks-seriously-and younger than she feels, but remains convinced that for every day she spends writing, one more day will be added to her lifespan.
Monday, June 11th- Fiktshun
Wednesday, June 13th - Harlequin Paranormal Blog
Friday, June 15th- All Things Urban Fantasy
Monday, June 18th - I'm Just Sitting Here and Read
Tuesday, June 19th Book Birthday - Book Soulmates
Wednesday, June 20th - Late Bloomer Online
Friday, June 22nd - Mimi Valentine
Monday, June 25th - Tynga's Reviews
Wednesday, June 27th - The Page Turners
Friday, June 29th- A Cupcake and A Latte